Sunday, February 19, 2012

Say what!?

Remember Wayne's World?  "Excuse me?  I cunt hear you!  I have an ear infuction!"  Yeah, you know exactly what I'm talking about, and don't lie.  I'm sure every single one of you have used those lines.  I know I have, especially when someone sideblinds you with something that you believe in.

Take my guest blogger for example.  Newly signed author, Amy Gregory, was just slapped in the face by her daughter's school programming.  Left in a daze, I let her rant her little heart out here.  So, I'm going to turn the soap box over to Amy.

Rant away!

AMY: 

Ok, so I’m not one to complain about my school district.  I know just how fortunate I am to have my kids in the schools they are in.  HOWEVER!!!

Having said that, I am an author.  I make people up, situations, storylines, their feelings all of it.  This is what I love to do, it is my passion.  So imagine my surprise when at ‘freshman night’ at the high school when the English department made the statement – from now on the kids will only be focusing on learning to write research papers, essays and etc.  The things they’ll need to know in college.  They won’t be writing any of the fluffy poems and creative and fun stuff of middle school.

Hmmmmm?  EXCUSE ME?  I took a moment to breathe, not wanting to spontaneously combust and embarrass my daughter who was now slinking down in her chair at the smoke billowing out of my ears.  Oh hell no!  I did not just hear that right – did I? 

Apparently, I did!

They went on to further explain how that was not a necessary part of the high school curriculum, or what they’d need for college.  Ok?  Well, um, what if they want to be a….. WRITER???  Oh, I guess those books in the library – the state of the art library that we were sitting in at the time, mind you – just magically appeared on the shelves from authors of long ago.  That no new ideas are written about, no new worlds explored, no new loves found.  So apparently they don’t need to teach it anymore.

Again, let me state, I’m so lucky to be in the district we’re in.  They have some of the most outstanding programs in the country.  Our public schools surpass any private school around, these kids are ready for college.  I guess it just floors me, when you tell me that my love, my passion, my job isn’t worth the piece of paper I write on, teaching MY kid about.  Or any kid for that matter.  It makes me sad to think, that something that has lasted as long as time itself, may not be important to our future.  At least in the eyes of those who decide what is taught in schools today.  College isn’t for everybody, however learning to write, most certainly is.  Maybe not the next Shakespeare masterpiece, maybe not the next Odyssey or even one of Charles Dickens’ works of art.  But maybe something as simple as an endearing thank you note, or their own wedding vows. 

So, now that I’ve said my piece, I’ll go back to what I love.  Writing.  And NO, it’s not for a college essay! 

_________________________

Now, with that being said, I'm going to leave you with some video fun!  Let me know what you think about schools who dictate what is good or not good for your children.

1 comment:

Linn B Halton said...

There's nothing fluffy about being creative - bit of a red rag to a bull there! Made me laugh reading this, but nothing surprises me nowadays. Honestly.....